Since the May, 2008, release of the first Dreamhouse Kings books (House of Dark Shadows and Watcher in the Woods), all indications pointed to their popularity: Wal-Mart ordered a special two-in-one edition, Kroger and Costco placed large orders, and Scholastic ordered a special paperback edition for its book fairs. Despite Scholastic's sizable initial order of House of Dark Shadows, they sold out and required second and third printings. Now Scholastic wants Watcher in the Woods, and it's looking like the first printing will be double that of House of Dark Shadows. In additon, the two books have hit young adult bestseller lists month after month.

More rewarding, however, are all the letters and emails I've received from kids and parents. They tell me about reading the books over a single weekend--even the kids who normally take weeks to finish a book. And many have said the books have sparked their desire to become writers. How cool is that?

My publisher recently received this letter from a Scholastic representative:

I just wanted to tell you what is happening with House of Dark Shadows.

I book talked it to the sales consultants the other week after I read it. They were all intrigued and left the meeting calling their schools to tell them about it. I also mentioned that it was an six book series and we would have the 2nd book in the fall. I of course, couldn't wait for the fall and bought the second book and enjoyed it even more. It is now being passed around.

Today, I went to a middle school and booked talked about 15 of my favorites for this spring. This was one of them. Afterwards I was inundated with all kinds of questions about the book and series and whether the
library already had the book on the shelf.

With the last class, I was told they were low level readers and chose only certain books to talk about. I did not mention this book. After I was done, I had several students come up and ask me about the book. I started to book talk it to the few students standing around and all of a sudden I found myself surrounded by 20 students all wanted to hear more about the book and series.

I was very surprised as I was told by the teacher and the librarian that this group didn't read much and I probably wouldn't get much response from them.

They all had their mouths open, their eyes were popped and they couldn't wait for the book to arrive with the fair next week.

We all think this will be a great series and we are hoping that we will carry all six books. If this is any indication of what to expect, we think this series will be very hot.
I can completely relate to the enthusiasm this person saw in the students. I've had privilage of speaking to middle and high schools all around the country about the Dreamhouse Books and writing. The passion this age group has for story is energizing. Despite traveling from city to city, hitting two schools a day, I returned from each presentation charged up to continue writing the series. In fact, Timescape was mostly written in hotel rooms on this tour, and realy reports indicate that it's the best book yet.

I just wanted to share with you this aspect of the Dreamhouse books, this excitement it's generating in young readers.

How you can help: If you know middle school teachers, please tell them about Dreamhouse Kings. Each book contains discussion questions that educators can use to deepen their students' experience with the story and help them understand its life and history lessons.

2 comments:

Jodi said...

It's exciting to hear how this series has brought so much joy to both adults and kids. I recommend the series for a fun summer family project. Discussion questions are in the books. Camfire talks, dinner talks and long car trips, too!

Jake said...

I agree. This is a fantastic series for families to read together!